The class 44 locomotives, which were called "Jumbo" because of their tractive power, formed the backbone of the heavy freight train service until they were replaced by modern diesel and electric locomotives.
With their three-cylinder engine and their five driven axles, the class 44 locomotives were specifically designed for heavy freight trains. A total of 1,989 units were built between 1926 and 1949. The high steam and coal consumption of the engines meant hard work for the stoker. Therefore, some locomotives were converted to oil main firing - they received the class designation 043 in the new EDP-compliant numbering scheme from 1968.
The 44s remained in service with the Deutsche Bahn until the end of steam locomotive operation in 1977. Our 44 276, built by Krauss-Maffei in 1940, was retired on October 7, 1975 and sold to the DDM.
|TYPE||1´E h3 G 56.20|
|DRIVING WHEEL Ø||1 400 mm|
|TRAILING WHEEL FRONT Ø||850 mm|
|LENGTH OVER BUFFER||22 620 mm|
|TOP SPEED||80 km/h|
|INDICATED POWER||1 910 PS|
|BOILER OVERPRESSURE||16 kp/cm²|
|GRATE AREA||4,55 m²|
|EVAPORATIVE HEATING SURFACE||237,67 m²|
|SUPERHEATER HEATING SURFACE||100 m²|
|CYLINDER Ø||550 mm|
|PISTON STROKE||660 mm|
|MAXIMUM AXIAL LOAD||19 Mp|
|FRICTION LOAD||95 Mp|
|SERVICE LOAD||110 Mp|
|TENDER||2´2´ T 34|
|MANUFACTURER||KRAUSS-MAFFEI AG MUNICH|
|FACTORY NUMBER||15 745|
|ACCEPTANCE||17 APR. 1940|
|MILEAGE||1.7 MIO. km|