Klima snow ploughs are named after their inventor Rudolf Klima. The plough shares are movable by compressed air. This allows the snow to be pushed to one side only.
Originally, the snow ploughs were mounted directly on locomotives as removable attachments. The first Klima snow plough was used in Austria in the winter of 1926/27. These snow ploughs are based on decommissioned chassis - mostly former locomotive tenders. They are not self-propelled, meaning they must be pushed by a locomotive.
The KLIMA 974 3009-0 plough was last based at the Hof depot and used on the lines of the Franconian Forest until 1984. The second plough
KLIMA 974 3039-7 was based at the Bayreuth depot, Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg branch, and was in service until 1991.
For railway lines with poor supply, condensing locomotives were developed with a condensing tender t ...