The Prussian state railroad designed the T 18 for use on the island of Rügen. Its main area of use was the suburban service of many metropolitan areas - a forerunner of the S-Bahn.
From 1912 to 1927, a total of 534 vehicles of the Prussian type T 18 were built mainly by the Stettiner Maschinenbau AG Vulcan. At the Deutsche Reichsbahn, it became the class 78.
On the German Federal Railroad, several machines received equipment for push-pull service on shorter lines, e.g. between Hamburg-Bergedorf and Aumühle (S-Bahn pre-run operation).
The last place of operation of the 78 246 built in 1922 was the MPD Rottweil. The farewell trip on December 31, 1974 was even reported by the Tagesschau. By now, the locomotive has returned to Rottweil on loan. The Eisenbahnfreunde Zollernbahn e. V. will refurbish the locomotive so that it is ready for operation.
|TYPE||2´C2´ h2 Pt 35.17|
|DRIVING WHEEL Ø||1 650 mm|
|TRAILING WHEEL FRONT Ø||1 000 mm|
|TRAILING WHEEL BACK Ø||1 000 mm|
|LENGTH OVER BUFFER||14 800 mm|
|TOP SPEED||100 km/h|
|INDICATED POWER||1 140 PS|
|BOILER OVERPRESSURE||12 kp/cm²|
|GRATE AREA||2,35 m²|
|EVAPORATIVE HEATING SURFACE||135,49 m²|
|SUPERHEATER HEATING SURFACE||49,2 m²|
|CYLINDER Ø||560 mm|
|PISTON STROKE||630 mm|
|MAXIMUM AXIAL LOAD||17,1 Mp|
|FRICTION LOAD||51,1 Mp|
|SERVICE LOAD||106 Mp|
STETTINER MASCHINENBAU AG VULCAN|
|ACCEPTANCE||23 FEB. 1922|