Known as the "Spalter Bockl",the 98 307 shuttled between Spalt and Georgensgmünd in Franconia until 1963 - the last route on which a locomotive of this type was used.
The Bavarian State Railways developed the compact and economical PtL (Personenzug-tenderlok für Lokalbahn, "passanger train tank branch line locomotive") 2/2 class superheated steam locomotives specifically for operation on branch lines. They had a semi-automatic gravity-feed firing. Initially, this meant that no stoker was needed. The all-round glazed cab provided better vision, which earned it the nickname "glass box". The railings around the car allowed safe access to the train of cars.
The 98 307 was built in 1909 by KRAUSS & COMP. AG, MUNICH and served in Franconia for over 50 years. It is on permanent loan from the DB Museum in Neuenmarkt.
|TYPE||B h2 L 22.14|
|DRIVING WHEEL Ø||1 006 mm|
|LENGTH OVER BUFFER||7 004 mm|
|TOP SPEED||50 km/h|
|INDICATED POWER||210 PS|
|BOILER OVERPRESSURE||12 kp/cm²|
|GRATE AREA||0,6 m²|
|EVAPORATIVE HEATING SURFACE||28,9 m²|
|SUPERHEATER HEATING SURFACE||8,1 m²|
|CYLINDER Ø||320 mm|
|PISTON STROKE||400 mm|
|MAXIMUM AXIAL LOAD||11,5 Mp|
|FRICTION LOAD||22,7 Mp|
|SERVICE LOAD||22,7 Mp|
|TOTAL PRODUCED (WITH JACKSHAFT)||9|
|MANUFACTURER||KRAUSS & COMP. AG, MUNICH|