One of the most important tasks of the former Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg depot was the provision of special banking engines for the Schiefe Ebene, one of the steepest sections of the German railway system. To overcome the altitude (1:49) of this stretch, which was built in 1848, two locomotives were necessary. These engines were supplied with fuel and water, cleaned and maintained at the "Kohlenhof" (coal yard) approx. 600 metres northwest of the roundhouse.
The increasing use of diesel locomotives in the 1960s made the depots which were geared to steam locomotives mostly unnecessary, which is why most of the technical facilities were disassembled and scrapped. Subsequently, the former depot area was used as a disposal site for construction waste for decades before it was left to nature.
After the area of the former depot was acquired by the DDM administration union, stock was taken thoroughly and a concept for its reconstruction based on the historical model and its usability for the museum was developed.
While the concept was being developed, missing original equipment was purchased. After intensive search the recovery of one of the last Ruge standard coal cranes with cab from the 1930s was successful. Missing water cranes, a large track field clock and historical wood pylon lighting could also incrementally be acquired in the following years.
That means that today, the supply of locomotives with coal, water, sand and grease, the removal of incineration residue and the security check of the engines can once again be faithfully witnessed.
Since the BW Kohlenhof was put into operation in 2005, visitors have enjoyed to take part in the technical supplying of the steam locomotives which is announced over the loudspeakers in advance. It is an especially great opportunity for children and steam locomotive enthusiasts to witness the maintenance of the locomotives, to enter the driver's cab and to talk to staff with expert knowledge.