The class 95 was intended to replace the cumbersome and time-consuming rack railway system on steep grades. Between 1936 and 1952, they even helped on the "Schiefe Ebene".
The Deutsche Reichsbahn procured class 95 locomotives from the beginning of 1923 to be used in front of heavy freight trains on steep main lines, which is how it earned its nickname "Queen of the Mountains". It was one of the last new developments of the Reichsbahn before the standard steam locomotives were procured. By 1924, 45 machines had been built.
Our 95 016, built in 1923 in the locomotive factory Borsig (Berlin), was mainly in use in Thuringia. From 1982, it operated in Kamenz as a heating locomotive. In 1993, it was acquired by SEG - Sächsische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft. From 1996, it was available for trips to the DDM before suffering boiler damage. Shortly thereafter, the locomotive was handed to the DDM.
|TYPE||1’E1’ h2 Gt 57.19|
|DRIVING WHEEL Ø||1 400 mm|
|TRAILING WHEEL FRONT Ø||850 mm|
|TRAILING WHEEL BACK Ø||850 mm|
|LENGTH OVER BUFFER||15 100 mm|
|TOP SPEED||65 km/h|
|INDICATED POWER||1 330 PS|
|BOILER OVERPRESSURE||14 kp/cm²|
|GRATE AREA||4,36 m²|
|EVAPORATIVE HEATING SURFACE||198,8 m²|
|SUPERHEATER HEATING SURFACE||62,5 m²|
|CYLINDER Ø||700 mm|
|PISTON STROKE||660 mm|
|MAXIMUM AXIAL LOAD||19,5 Mp|
|FRICTION LOAD||95,3 Mp|
|SERVICE LOAD||127,4 Mp|
|MANUFACTURER||A. BORSIG GMBH, BERLIN-TEGEL|
|FACTORY NUMBER||11 653|
|ACCEPTANCE||29 OCT. 1923|